Synel

Ragnarok Online Anime

So, I noticed a guy posted this before and basically was tossed out for linking to his site. Putting aside that attempt at advertizing, I watched this about a month ago and I disliked it for a variety of reasons but I wanted to bring up some qualms here.

First, more of a personal preference, I hated the fact that each time a character used a skill/ability they called it out and played through some animation. It's good the first time and maybe once or twice more, but after that it gets repetitive and annoying. I've been told it's a good way of recyclying animations and saving money on the production end, as well as using up time, but it still annoys me.

Second, Roans relationship with the priestess. The kid kept going for a girl who basically took advantage of him and treated him like an afterthought. She even said it directly to the merchant girl, he was on the backburner and she kept him around but was waiting for someone else were to come along. Yet, for some reason, he continued to chase after her up till he upgraded to Paladin (He got arrogant for awhile after that but he toned down,) and then moved on a bit only to go back to chasing her. I've never been in love before so maybe I'm just ignorant, but it was excruciating watching the kid go through this only to go chasing after here her in the end.

Third, The Golden Thief Bug Card. Anyone who's watched it knows That Roan and the party defeated a golden thief bug early in the series and got the card. My question is, what the fuck happened to it? One of the main big bads was a wizzy who ate souls to grow more powerful. They had a card that negates magic. Maybe I'm answering my own question. But basically, wtf? 

Finally, they didn't have taekwons -_-. I'm pretty sure every class had a cameo in the show, except for taekwons and gunslingers. There was a monk or a champion in there I'm pretty sure, though it wasn't spelled out. Roan got stuck in a cave and some woman dressed like a martial artist used what looked like push palm strike on a boulder to clear a path. So, there were assassins, rogues, thieves, priests, crusaders, archers/snipers, swordsman and merchants, but no taekwons. I'm personally offended.

Not really but it was still disappointing. 

~omg, what episode did they get the GTB?? i downloaded all episodes but forgot what episode was that.. lol

and yeah, repetitive animations is kinda boring to watch.. everytime they skill >.<

15 minutes ago, Synel said:

First, more of a personal preference, I hated the fact that each time a character used a skill/ability they called it out and played through some animation. It's good the first time and maybe once or twice more, but after that it gets repetitive and annoying. I've been told it's a good way of recyclying animations and saving money on the production end, as well as using up time, but it still annoys me.

I agree with you on this. It is freaking annoying when they keep on repeating same animation.

Second, Roans relationship with the priestess. The kid kept going for a girl who basically took advantage of him and treated him like an afterthought. She even said it directly to the merchant girl, he was on the backburner and she kept him around but was waiting for someone else were to come along. Yet, for some reason, he continued to chase after her up till he upgraded to Paladin (He got arrogant for awhile after that but he toned down,) and then moved on a bit only to go back to chasing her. I've never been in love before so maybe I'm just ignorant, but it was excruciating watching the kid go through this only to go chasing after here her in the end.

They both are buddy since they are child. Roan bear all that one-sided love because he had promise to Yuufa's brother (who died? or cursed by Dark Lord?) to protect her. The reason Roan become Pally is to protect Yuufa. As you can see in the anime, Roan train hard. He train in the desert of Morroc as well as joining the stalker/blacksmith group to Byalan dungeon. He will never be able to become Pally unless he have someone he truly love and to protect. Maybe you should check the requirement in the storyline of becoming a pally. [ Buddy ] >>> [ Roan one-sided love] >>> [ Love ]. As you can see in the end, while Yuufa almost kill Roan (when she was possessed by his own brother), the power of Roan's love (wtf am i saying **blush**. lels) have remove the evil spirit in Yuufa's body.

Third, The Golden Thief Bug Card. Anyone who's watched it knows That Roan and the party defeated a golden thief bug early in the series and got the card. My question is, what the fuck happened to it? One of the main big bads was a wizzy who ate souls to grow more powerful. They had a card that negates magic. Maybe I'm answering my own question. But basically, wtf? 

Same. Where did that card gone? Lels

Finally, they didn't have taekwons -_-. I'm pretty sure every class had a cameo in the show, except for taekwons and gunslingers. There was a monk or a champion in there I'm pretty sure, though it wasn't spelled out. Roan got stuck in a cave and some woman dressed like a martial artist used what looked like push palm strike on a boulder to clear a path. So, there were assassins, rogues, thieves, priests, crusaders, archers/snipers, swordsman and merchants, but no taekwons. I'm personally offended.

I'm sorry bro **pat pat** The anime was release back in 2002/2003 to promote Ragnarok Online. That was the time when Taekwon class and GS are not yet exist.

5 minutes ago, A Newb Sniper said:

~omg, what episode did they get the GTB?? i downloaded all episodes but forgot what episode was that.. lol

and yeah, repetitive animations is kinda boring to watch.. everytime they skill >.<

I believe its episode 2. Its the part where they receive a lot of gifts from the people who congratulate them and Maya (the merchant) happily collect it all. After that, Roan look at his hand and the card is there. 

~(Rated-18)

correct me if im wrong but - was maya molested/raped by the older BS on one episode that i saw?

she was just a kid if im not mistaken.. how old is she again?.. lol

and some of the series aren't kid friendly.. :P

14 minutes ago, Avengeful Kim said:

I'm sorry bro **pat pat** The anime was release back in 2002/2003 to promote Ragnarok Online. That was the time when Taekwon class and GS are not yet exist.

That's right. It was the time when the max level is 99. And if I recall correctly, only the wizard Zephyr(?) was the only one to reach it, as evidenced by his aura.

Yes, that card. They should have lend it to Takius, she surely can defeat that wizard, especially that GTB negates 100% of all magic attacks.

I'm wondering what happened to Takius. Did she died with Zephyr? If so, who did the Spell Break at the end, to stop Dark Lord's Meter Storm? And Maya, in the end, iirc, was holding Takius Staff. Where is she?

Speaking of Maya, I like the part where she uses Mammonite to break the stones for the Dark Lord to be vulnerable. And when Judia uses the giant crossbow to defeat Dark Illusions.

I heard that it was only a fan made, true? I don't know..but the anime was good at that time.

4 hours ago, Synel said:

Sadly it was a low budget anime, and this is typical of any low budget animation. It's also why backgrounds in older cartoons repeated.

4 hours ago, Synel said:

This is probably the most realistic thing in the entire anime. Boy likes girl, girl doesn't like boy but finds him convenient, boy keeps chasing girl, boy randomly gets confidence but when it wears off back to business as usual with boy chasing girl. A story as old as time (actually only as old as the concept of marrying for romantic love, which is a fairly new concept).

4 hours ago, Synel said:

I wondered that too, but wrote it off as cards not really being a thing in the anime. They never spoke of cards again, I think it was just put in as a reference to the game. Remember Ragnarok was originally a manga that turned into a game. The anime shares attributes from both.

4 hours ago, Synel said:

As others have said, those did not exist at the time. This actually came out not long after kRO and iRO got alternate seconds (like Monk, Alchemist, etc) which is why in each case of those of the main characters choosing them, they were presented as epic reveals.

2 hours ago, blueMagus said:

I heard that it was only a fan made, true? I don't know..but the anime was good at that time.

It was not fan made. It's official. The original dub was fan made, but later replaced by an official dub.

that anime was official. it actually acted like a teaser to the new alternative jobs, like what ancy said.

when it was released in our country, it was most anticipated since RO just hit it big bak then. i remember when we saw the first trans classes we were like "OMFG WE WANT THOSE CLASSES!" and started flooding the e-mail of the local server handler of RO. they eventually gave in.

I've seen this anime a lot i really liked the opening song but yeah roan being used as a tool by yuufa and then she finally realizes she likes him back i was more like dude she doesn't like you move on. I think they might have sold the GTB card which is why it was never seen again? I feel like i wanna rewatch this now. 

23 hours ago, Avengeful Kim said:

I believe its episode 2. Its the part where they receive a lot of gifts from the people who congratulate them and Maya (the merchant) happily collect it all. After that, Roan look at his hand and the card is there. 

Yup. That's the one. I thought it was funny that most of the gifts they got were friggen, apples, bananas n stuff like that. They basically threw produce at them. Also funny was how a bunch of townspeople and adventurers just appeared in the sewers randomly once they beat gtb. 

It is implied heavily that Maya was raped during the early episodes which revealed a quite dark part of the anime and the implied culture at the time.  

I don't think Takius is dead but I also don't think it'll ever be revealed unless it maybe occurred in the manga. 

I'd give another Ragnarok anime a chance if they made another but I have no faith or expectation that it's gonna happen.

• Upvote 1

On 27/08/2016 at 1:36 PM, Synel said:

Yup. That's the one. I thought it was funny that most of the gifts they got were friggen, apples, bananas n stuff like that. They basically threw produce at them. Also funny was how a bunch of townspeople and adventurers just appeared in the sewers randomly once they beat gtb. 

It is implied heavily that Maya was raped during the early episodes which revealed a quite dark part of the anime and the implied culture at the time.  

I don't think Takius is dead but I also don't think it'll ever be revealed unless it maybe occurred in the manga. 

I'd give another Ragnarok anime a chance if they made another but I have no faith or expectation that it's gonna happen.

unless some hardcore fans make another arc.

i would love to propose my concept art on those characters. setting is in an alternate universe where knights ride choppers, assassins look like the turks from FFVII or assassins' creed or Neo in the matrix, archers look like modern day hunters complete with those heavy coats, priests look more like shaolin monks, blacksmiths look like coal miners, and some other characters i forgot.

imma draw them again as my originals were destroyed when typhoon ondoy hit our apartment in manila :(

On 8/27/2016 at 2:31 AM, Loki Rehyu said:

I think they might have sold the GTB card which is why it was never seen again?

iirc, gtb wasn't sold. It was the first and last appearance of the card, when they got it. But I hope they sold it, so Maya woul be happy $$$ (lol very controversial card)

13 hours ago, Lance Eisengard said:

imma draw them again as my originals were destroyed when typhoon ondoy hit our apartment in manila :(

i remember a casket flowing over the ondoy's flood, its sucks.

On 8/27/2016 at 1:36 PM, Synel said:

yeah, sadly :( but I'm hoping that they'll gonna make some movie series (like GOT) of RO, with real humans acting as characters. I hope its possible.

On 8/25/2016 at 10:45 PM, Synel said:

Yea I hated that... that's also I stopped Fairy Tale long ago. Not sure if they still do that. I watched like 5 episode of Ragnarok long time ago and stopped :(

maybe they should remake

I skipped reading everything to avoid spoilers. Is there some link where I can watch this anime? I havent really looked into it myself.

On 8/25/2016 at 11:25 PM, A Newb Sniper said:

~(Rated-18)

correct me if im wrong but - was maya molested/raped by the older BS on one episode that i saw?

she was just a kid if im not mistaken.. how old is she again?.. lol

and some of the series aren't kid friendly.. :P

lol well a lot of anime isn't suited for kids. I don't think this one is aimed at a younger generation in japan either. Though I am pretty sure in a LOT of places in japan, 13 is the technical age of consent. Though in a lot of cities they have rules and regulations to protect those minors just in case.