Sign in to follow this  
God of Fortune

Population Concern and Disabling GT

I just saw that post on discord about disabling GT because players who are staying in GTs make it seem like the population count is fake.

First and foremost, the REASON why we bought a GT was because it is convenient for us to move around when we need to do so (i.e. farming, using chaffeur for cedi and sealed shrine, etc.). Also, another reason why we are in our GTs was because it allows us to have our personal space which is one of the things that this server could offer compared to other servers. Third reason why we have our GT is that it allows us to use bloody branches and dead branches when we feel like using them. Also, we could use our refiner and safe refiner in there whenever we need it. 

Now I wonder, why blame us for that population count for making it seem fake? Was it our fault that there are barely a few players going online due to their busy schedules? Was it our fault that the server looks like a ghost town, when there is barely interaction going on the chats that makes it seem so dead? Was it also our fault that putting up the autovendors and including them in the population count made the numbers look fake?

To be honest, just letting us have our peaceful stay in our GT while we play is one of the reasons why we are staying in this game. Don't blame the GT owners and players who want to stay in GTs and use it while they're playing. We all know that it is not the reason why the population count gets questioned. Thank you for blaming the players for every single thing that goes wrong in the server, when all we want to do is play and connect with our friends here even if we are saved in our GTs.

If GTs were to be disabled, a new town or place would be added with all the NPCs that GTs have and made accessible for everyone.

You would not lose that convenience.

But..but..RIP to those who bought those NPCs just to be available for the entire server later on. That new map is like a GT for all, so RIP too to those who bought GT too.

This is probably a bit rambly because of how late it is for me but whatever.

Honestly the GT player count issue was brought up when these were first implemented, and we implemented them anyway - I would know, that was one of my arguments against them in the first place.  My side lost, and we have GTs now.  I realize there's been a management change since then, but we are past that issue.  The community wanted it, and removing them is a difficult proposition.

Now that they're here its unfair to kick people out of them, especially if they're all paid for.  Even if they were left open at specific times, it diminishes the point.  People save in GTs.  If people are kicked out they'll need to resave in a town. You lose out on your town tools and It basically negates half the point of having one in the first place.  In other words, people use GTs for more than WoE, and locking people out outside of WoE does the same thing as removing GTs altogether would.

I can imagine someone saying "oh boo hoo people lose out on some convenience"- you're damn right they do.  quality of life improvements can streamline a game and make it more fun, especially for enfranchised players, which most GT players are.  Removing those features makes it harder for those players to enjoy the game. -so I didnt read the Ancy comment when I wrote that bit, but now that I did,  I still don't think that fixes the issue.  It still means saving and re-saving for every WoE, which is annoying.  I know, its a minor inconvenience at best, but inconvenient nonetheless.  Also, there's a good deal of customization to those GT NPCs.  Are you sure they can do everything all of the NPCs in every GT could do?  And would that possibly introduce some- albeit VERY minor- market balance issues?

There is also the fact that some people pay for GTs despite leaving the game so it gives them something to come back to.  If there is less for them to come back to, then they probably wont bother ever returning AND you'll lose the money people were paying to keep them open.

If the server population goes up by, say, 400, then we can talk about re-examining GTs- maybe removing them but giving guilds compensation, or replacing them with a different feature like an instanced, temporary WoE war room or something.  As it is now, with an average population of ~300, there isn't any point.  The game is gonna feel empty no matter where you are.  As it is, most people still sit in towns anyway.  Heck, I'm using a GT but I spend most of my times in towns because that is where the people are.

Anyway, the whole GT removal thing is just a distraction from the low population issue. Removing GTs wont change that, but it will remove a [generally] loved feature.

Edited by Hunter of Aegis
Read Ancy's comment (see edit history)

There are many other ways to at least supress the population declining.

1. Abolish zeny sinking

→NO MORE ZENY TO SINK. Useless and pain in the arse for newbie . This include but not limited to biolab 4

2. Double or triple drop rate exp rate

→I am sure this would give players to go out hunt not afk

etc etc

Removing GTs is by far the most desperate way imho

Zeny sinks are neccessary though.  Inflation is a real problem.

Maybe if people could pay to increase drop rate?  we already have bubble gum but maybe have a special option in Floating Rates to temporarily increase server drop rates?  I dunno.

It may be a problem of advertising more than anything else.  New servers have an advantage over old servers in this.  We're pretty fully featured but lots of older servers just kinda exist.  Another one I used to play on in 2008 was very highly populated at the time, but is down to less than 100 online at any given time.

If there was a way to stick out without relying on topsite voting as the sole source of reach, then that'd probably be the way to go.

Also, speaking of voting, is it just me or are the website vote buttons broken?  Some of the voting sites don't exist anymore, and the RMS link is the wrong one.  There are a few other quirks about the website that don't seem to work.  I think fixing that is probably a good way to start pushing our way towards relevance again.